Cheris Photos and Restoration

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Backing up your pictures

The importance of backing up my pictures has been on my mind lately. I had my hard drive go bad and it was less than 3 years old. I've been using multiple external hard drives to back up my pictures because I lost some in a previous hard drive failure. I thought I was being so diligent but found out the external hard drives have a limited life span of about 5 years. I've backed everything up to an account on the cloud but I still worry about failure with that system. So what's the solution? With each type of media, we've always been told to use multiple backups. I had several cd's and dvd's with my photo library on them, but most computers now don't have drives to read them so as technology changes, how do we keep our pictures safe? How many times have you taken pictures on your phone and you get an error message saying your memory is full? You start deleting you photos to make room for your new memories or you think you'll download them later.  My important pictures I print as well as backing up in several locations. I read an article one time that talked about how we are in danger of losing our history because we delete so much and don't have hard copies. I keep my journals online but need to make sure that is also backed up in several places. We need to be proactive in preserving our memories so our children and our children's children can have access to them. What can you do today to ensure you don't lose your memories or photos?  When was the last time you updated your family pictures? Maybe it's time to do that too, families grow and change and before we know it, the kids are ready to move onto their next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment